The Bell, Stilton

Client
The Bell Inn (Hotel)
Status
Complete

The Bell Inn dates back to 1500 (today's buildings date from 1642) and was one of the major coaching inns of the Great North Road.  Dick Turpin was reputedly one of the regulars and this is still remembered today by the naming of the room above the archway as 'Dick's Room'.

The Inn is also known as the birthplace of Stilton cheese.  By the time Saunders Boston became involved with the building it had been deteriorating for over a century but its new owners wished to restore the Inn to its former glory.  This involved enlarging the existing restaurant, improving the public bar, providing a new restaurant, kitchen and extra toilets, as well as a major renovation and extension to form a new hotel.

The hotel now comprises 19 double bedrooms, a function room capable of seating up to 100 people, as well as other smaller conference rooms and lounges.  Much of the original building was in such a poor state that it had to be dismantled stone-by-stone and then rebuilt.  The new extension was designed in brickwork to avoid confusion between the "original building" and the "modern extension".  The design of the extension and choice of materials were, however, carefully considered to blend sympathetically with the old.

« Return to sector listings

Eastern Gate House
119 Newmarket Road
Cambridge
CB5 8HA

Also in Exeter:
The Generator
The Gallery
King's Wharf
The Quay
Exeter
EX2 4AN



t.Cambridge: 01223 367733
e.office@saundersboston.co.uk